Friday, February 20, 2015

Clearing the backlog...

I cut this skirt out quite some time ago and lost it in the depths of my sewing room.  In need of a summer weight black skirt, I hunted it out and put it together over the weekend.  It's BWOF 03-11-103 that I've made at least 4 times before.  This is made in my favourite fabric, sateen.  It hasn't photographed very well, I'm afraid.

I love the darts at the back and the way it cups the derriere.  Sadly, as Vera has no buttocks, it just hangs on her. I, on the other hand, have Italian mama hips!
 
 
I've lined it with black silk (I was gifted a roll of it years ago and it just seems to never run out) and the inside waistband is cut from leftovers from a dress I made a few years ago.  Of course, I've added one of my labels.  This may be a SWAP addition.

 
 
Next up and also from the depths of my sewing room is a dress I cut out last summer.  The fabric came from a skirt I bought at an op shop maybe ten years ago.  I'm sure it was one of those primary school sewing projects that anyone who was at school in the 60's and 70's would remember.  A dirndl style skirt gathered onto a waistband.  This was ankle length which gave me acres of fabric.  In my mind, I remembered cutting an entirely different dress so was surprised to find I had cut out Vogue 1241.  Funny, as I have absolutely no recollection of even pulling the pattern out of the pack!
 



 
 
I can't express how much I love this dress.  I cut a 10 on top, grading to a 12 at the hips, as I usually do for Vogue patterns.



I lined it with a lemon bemberg leftover from a project many years ago and added another of my labels.  The busy pattern means you can't really see the gathers or the crossover at the front.  I paid no attention to pattern placement so I'm amused to see I have a fish on each nipple!  The reviews on Pattern Review all suggested this is low cut and it is (and some sewed the front closed). I don't mind a bit of cleavage and this isn't a work dress so I'm happy to wear it as is

This dress is really flattering and I will probably make one in a plain colour before the summer is out.


 


Sunday, February 15, 2015

Shetland SWAP

As I never really finished sewing the Shetland Collection before I left, I have decided I can continue the theme and make a SWAP with the fabrics and patterns I have left.  I have no real plan as such, other than knowing I need at least three bottoms and five tops.

With that thought in mind, I present two garments which may or may not be part of my SWAP.

First up is a peplum top that is Burda but I can't remember the issue or the pattern number and can't be bothered to look for it.  If you have the magazine, it was on the cover and made in bright yellow.

I made this from leftover knit and the pattern was for a woven, so I had to take it in quite a bit to make it fit.  It looks pretty ordinary on Vera but it looks good on a human.  You may recognise the fabric from a pair of leggings I made last year.






Second up is BWOF 08-11-121.  I really like this skirt.  I've made patterns with a gathered insert in the middle before and was always disappointed that the middle bit hung down in drapes.  This pattern, very sensibly, has the knit part about 1cm narrower than the section underneath, so it stretches and stays taut when you wear it.  You may recognise the fabrics from my jeans and a top from the Shetland Collection. Of course, I have added my labels and it still gives me a little thrill to put these in.

The best thing about both of these garments is that they were made from leftovers, including the skirt lining, so they are essentially free garments and that makes me very happy.

I have no idea what is up next on my sewing calendar.  I might just have to lay out some fabric and stare at it for a while tonight.