Monday, March 9, 2015

I may have a SWAP after all ....

Making this dress was a spur of the moment thing.  I had pulled this fabric out of stash late last year with a view to including it in my Shetland Collection, but I didn't know what to do with it.  It's a silver grey sateen I bought many years ago for a long forgotten SWAP.  Needless to say, it never got used. It's been sitting in a pile since then and last week I decided to make a dress out of it. To make things easy, I chose a pattern I've already fitted to me/
 
This is Vogue 8787 and I've made this once before a couple of years ago in black velvet.  I thought the grey looked a little bland on its own so I decided to pipe the waistband with black satin piping.


 
I trawled my stash and found this funky poly satin leftover from lining a red skirt and jacket made at about the same time as the original version of this dress.

 
 
So where's the SWAP, you may well ask?  I had so much of this fabric left that I cut out a pair of shorts and an a line skirt.  While I was working on the shorts today, I spied a length of leftover piping and realised I could pipe the pockets.  Then my brain starting ticking over...the skirt I've cut also has slant hip pockets...I could pipe those, too.  So the grey shorts and skirt, coupled with the black sateen skirt I made a couple of weeks ago are now the bottoms of my SWAP.  I have another skirt cut out that could possibly go in as a wild card, but we shall see.  In the meantime, I'm busy choosing patterns from which to make some tops that will go with these garments.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Going dotty...

I seem to have given up on my SWAP sewing because this weeks garments don't go with anything I've sewn so far.  In dredging through my sewing room the other day I came across an inspiration picture I ripped out of a magazine a couple of years ago.  The spots on the original dress were bigger but I had fabric in my stash and a pattern that approximated the one in the picture and I was in the mood for combining the two, so this jumped to the head of the queue.


The dress is M6699 which is apparently now OOP.  I made this dress the Christmas before last out of a retro Christmas print (and never blogged) and it just needed a little tuck taken in the neckline as the shoulders were a little wide for me and I left off the pockets and silly contrast on the vent, but otherwise I made it as per the pattern.  I cut a 10 on top graded to a 12 at the hips.  McCalls aren't a great fit for my shape, but this works out OK.




















I lined this with whatever I could find in my stash and I kinda like the way the inside looks, so here is a gratuitous lining shot, just because it makes me smile.





















I take great delight in getting extra garments out of my leftovers and I found I had enough to squeeze out a top made from V1100, which I think is still in print, which surprises me as it's been in my collection for at least 5 years.  I've made this as dress at least four times, but never as a top.  Vogue patterns fit me quite well, straight out of the pack and I always start with a 10 on top grading to a 12 at the hips.  I've lined it with some leftover white bemberg, but the inside looks terrible, so no pics of this one!