I may have a SWAP after all ....

Making this dress was a spur of the moment thing.  I had pulled this fabric out of stash late last year with a view to including it in my Shetland Collection, but I didn't know what to do with it.  It's a silver grey sateen I bought many years ago for a long forgotten SWAP.  Needless to say, it never got used. It's been sitting in a pile since then and last week I decided to make a dress out of it. To make things easy, I chose a pattern I've already fitted to me/
 
This is Vogue 8787 and I've made this once before a couple of years ago in black velvet.  I thought the grey looked a little bland on its own so I decided to pipe the waistband with black satin piping.


 
I trawled my stash and found this funky poly satin leftover from lining a red skirt and jacket made at about the same time as the original version of this dress.

 
 
So where's the SWAP, you may well ask?  I had so much of this fabric left that I cut out a pair of shorts and an a line skirt.  While I was working on the shorts today, I spied a length of leftover piping and realised I could pipe the pockets.  Then my brain starting ticking over...the skirt I've cut also has slant hip pockets...I could pipe those, too.  So the grey shorts and skirt, coupled with the black sateen skirt I made a couple of weeks ago are now the bottoms of my SWAP.  I have another skirt cut out that could possibly go in as a wild card, but we shall see.  In the meantime, I'm busy choosing patterns from which to make some tops that will go with these garments.

Comments

Summer Flies said…
I love this dress! I am so into grey at the moment, and sateen... yes please. I wish I could find gorgeous grey sateen like that. Can't wait to see the whole SWAP.
Sharon said…
Lovely dress and the piping shows off those seams nicely. Your SWAP sounds like it is all go, go for it!
Robyn said…
I really like that dress! Sounds like the start of a great SWAP - love it when the stash delivers the goods.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up