It's too darn hot ...

Anyone on the eastern seaboard of Australia will know what I mean. I live in the subtropics; I should be used to this. Once again, it was 29degrees celsius at 8am today. I took Molly down to the beach for a swim and then we came home and stayed inside.
I've managed to finish a few things. First up is a BWOF skirt, 08-07-117 I think. This had a self fabric belt, but as this sateen crushes easily, I decided not to make it as it would look crap in no time flat. This is stunning cotton sateen from Gorgeous Fabrics and is probably better suited to winter wear where I live. I will press this before I wear it. Have I mentioned it's hot here?

Next up is bermuda shorts and I think they are from BWOF 07-07 and are possibly number 106, but I'm not sure. it's more of the diamond twill that I love I had intended to show these on me, but even now at 6.30pm, I am drenched in sweat and can't get these on. I have made the pockets and waistband facing from a scrap leftover from my Birthday Dress of last post. As it's too hot to wear these, you may have to wait until winter before you see them on me.






Finally is the completion of a UFO, ironically also from BWOF 07-07, but I can't recall the number. I started this in 2009 and observant readers will recall this hanging on my second dummy (now called Gooch) in the background of many of my photos since then. I ended up redoing the collar, using a contrast fabric for the inside stand and the undercollar. I also removed the epaulettes and tabs and ignored the pockets. Not sure about this, I may shorten it to a blouse/jackety short of thing. Don't know if I like it or not. Oh and my skills have improved since I started this dress!

This final shot is of Gypsy, the poodle from next door. She's helping me trace off a Burda pattern. This was at 7.30 this morning, before I decided to abandon work that required thinking.

My friend Rod is taking me to lunch tomorrow as a belated birthday gift and I intend to wear my birthday dress!

Comments

Amy said…
Awesome!! It was meltingly hot here in Brisbane too.

Such an adorable puppy!
Sheila said…
What a great skirt and like the alternative belt option. The shorts are wickedly gorgeous and like the use of the animal print for the pockets and waistband. Lovely color choice for the dress. Your sewing must be smoking from making those lovely garments.
Faye Lewis said…
Such nice work. I can't feel too sorry for you with the heat. After having a average 60 degree weekend last week, and this week having rain and cold I sort of wish I were there with you.
toy said…
I see you finished your trench style skirt,very nice. This is a great piece to have. I've worn mines alot. Also, isn't it great to get some FOs done
kbenco said…
ooh, I love the skirt, and the pocket lining for the shorts is very cool. Autumnal maybe? I know what you mean about trying on clothes in this weather. I plan to make swimming costumes this week, or maybe another sun dress!
Sharon said…
Love the skirt, shorts and your dress - all beautiful pieces. Hope the weather cooled a little for your belated birthday lunch.
sewing spots said…
Wonderful pieces! I particularly love the skirt and the shorts. Good luck with the heat.
gwensews said…
Always a good feeling to get those UFOs out of the "to do" pile and into a closet. Stay cool.
The shorts are fantastic! I am laughing about waiting until winter to wear them. It is around 0 degrees C here today. No bermuda shorts in DC winter.
Audrey said…
All three of these garments make me wish I was sewing warm weather clothes. The skirt is a really cute, casual style that could be worn with a lot of different types of tops. I like it better with non self fabric belt too. Orange is a very popular color for spring in the fashion magazines. I am on the lookout for the perfect orange fabric to make a dress like yours.
Trudy said…
Great shorts.

Thank you so much for wishing me congratulations on my pregnancy. I will try to get some baby bump pictures posted in the next week or so.
Cennetta said…
Happy belated birthday. Your new garment are great. And I wish a little more "heat" would come to North American.
C
Gail said…
I love the skirt. If it is the Burda magazine pattern, I've traced this one to sew too. The orange dress is cute too.
Trudy said…
Beautiful work.

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog post about my pregnancy.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up