Reintroducing myself...

It's been a while - remember me??  It's been a busy year and a bit since my last post.

I'd like to thank Sheila and Faye for checking in on me! All is well.  I've been busy renovating a house, building another and working.  On top of that I managed three overseas trips and am leaving on another this coming week.

I have been sewing, not much, but some.  I haven't blogged any of it, but there are a few things I will show off in time.

For now I would like to introduce a travel wardrobe I am working on for a month long trip to Shetland this Christmas.  So far I have only been there in summer and as I live in the subtropics my wardrobe isn't that well equipped.

The wardrobe was inspired by this cardigan, a gift sent to me from Nepal.  This picture doesn't do it justice.  It is the softest, lightest cashmere I have ever felt.

So I collected some paint charts and pulled a page from a magazine.



 
Then I pulled some fabric from my stash

 
And the Shetland Collection was born.
 
 
I have a fair idea of what I want to make, mainly skirts, tops and leggings.  I have jeans already, including a purple pair from a SWAP a few years ago.  There are other fabrics in my stash that co-ordinate and will take this in a different direction, but for the purposes of a travel wardrobe I will stick to the palette of dusty pink, dusty lavender, grey, black and cream.  Not included in this fabrics above is a charcoal wool that will become a new overcoat.
 
So in an attempt to kick start my collection, I made this. 

 
 
This is BWOF 03-10-126 that I last made in in 2010 here . It looks way better on a person than on Vera.  This is a slightly fuzzy knit somewhere between a jersey and a ponte weight with a soft underside.  I still wear the original red and white stripe, in fact it's been worn on about 10 international flights since I made it.  Perfect weight, looks good over leggings and holds up on even the longest of long haul flights.
 
More soon...


 

 
 

Comments

Faye Lewis said…
Honestly I was just thinking about you yesterday. Glad you are posting and sewing or vice versa!
Judith said…
All that travelling ~ no wonder blogging took a back seat for awhile! Love the colours in your Shetland collect ~ lots of fun sewing ahead ... J
Summer Flies said…
Oh so glad to see you back and that all is well! I was cyber worried for you. Love the colour palate, so nice for colour when it is a bit bleak. I look forward to more on the collection.
Janine said…
Time goes really quickly. You have obviously been very busy and blogging really is an indulgence so no wonder you haven't had time but I am glad you are back because I love Aussie bloggers and you make inspiring things. Your Shetland collection is making me drool and realising I should get in with my sewing while I can .
Sharon said…
A few of us were only wondering where you were last Saturday so glad you have been busy and okay. Lovely wardrobe pallet and your first top looks amazing.
Sheila said…
So glad to see you posting. What a great line up of projects and fabric. Live the large scale houndstooth tunic.
kbenco said…
Your trip sounds great, but chilly! It is good to see your sewing again. The fabrics you've chosen for the travel wardrobe look gorgeous, and what a clever way to select them to compliment your cardigan.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up