Clearing the backlog...

I cut this skirt out quite some time ago and lost it in the depths of my sewing room.  In need of a summer weight black skirt, I hunted it out and put it together over the weekend.  It's BWOF 03-11-103 that I've made at least 4 times before.  This is made in my favourite fabric, sateen.  It hasn't photographed very well, I'm afraid.

I love the darts at the back and the way it cups the derriere.  Sadly, as Vera has no buttocks, it just hangs on her. I, on the other hand, have Italian mama hips!
 
 
I've lined it with black silk (I was gifted a roll of it years ago and it just seems to never run out) and the inside waistband is cut from leftovers from a dress I made a few years ago.  Of course, I've added one of my labels.  This may be a SWAP addition.

 
 
Next up and also from the depths of my sewing room is a dress I cut out last summer.  The fabric came from a skirt I bought at an op shop maybe ten years ago.  I'm sure it was one of those primary school sewing projects that anyone who was at school in the 60's and 70's would remember.  A dirndl style skirt gathered onto a waistband.  This was ankle length which gave me acres of fabric.  In my mind, I remembered cutting an entirely different dress so was surprised to find I had cut out Vogue 1241.  Funny, as I have absolutely no recollection of even pulling the pattern out of the pack!
 



 
 
I can't express how much I love this dress.  I cut a 10 on top, grading to a 12 at the hips, as I usually do for Vogue patterns.



I lined it with a lemon bemberg leftover from a project many years ago and added another of my labels.  The busy pattern means you can't really see the gathers or the crossover at the front.  I paid no attention to pattern placement so I'm amused to see I have a fish on each nipple!  The reviews on Pattern Review all suggested this is low cut and it is (and some sewed the front closed). I don't mind a bit of cleavage and this isn't a work dress so I'm happy to wear it as is

This dress is really flattering and I will probably make one in a plain colour before the summer is out.


 


Comments

I love the style of the skirt. But the dress is TDF!!! The colours are yummy. Just what I needed on this 3 degree day.
Summer Flies said…
I love that style skirt and you can't go wrong with black. I love the dress too... I love the bright colours.
Score with that fabric. I made a shift dress in the '70's and I think it is still at my Mum's waiting to be hemmed! It would never fit now!
Pixel Pixie said…
LOVE the skirt. I've got quite a badonkadonk, so I might give this one a try.
Anna said…
Great dress and the fabric is terrific. It's always satisfying to up-cycle..

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up