Gifting, stashbusting and bloke sewing ...

I've managed all three of these in one garment.

I had this scant 1 metre of cotton check fabric that's been in my stash for about 15 years.  I bought it for $3 at a sale of remnants and bolt ends from a clothing store in Mullumbimby called Mokea.  I've pulled it out many times, but there just wasn't enough to make any of the things I had envisioned, so it always ended up neatly folded and back in the cupboard.

Somewhere in the middle of the night on Friday I remembered that I owe my friend, Bruce, a birthday gift from December and as he is a smaller guy, I thought I migh just be able to squeeze it out of this fabric.  I've only sewn for Bruce once before (a terry towelling bathrobe that didn't need fitting) and as he is about 2000km away I couldn't measure him, so I guessed.  I used KS3422 a pattern I've sewn for another similarly sized friend so I hope it comes close.  I know Bruce will wear it regardless, because he loves all things hand made.

I cut the outer yoke on the bias, only just managing to fit it into the odd little bits I had. I managed a pocket but there wasn't enough fabric to cut it on the bias, so it blends into the front and is hard to see in the first picture.

I didn't have quite enough fabric, so I cut the inside yoke, collar stand and under collar from a co-ordinating poplin remnant that I also happened to have in my stash.  The buttons are from stash, once again from an All Buttons Great and Small mixed bag and thread was all tail ends of reels leftover from other garments.  I'm really happy with this shirt and glad to have moved more fabric out of the stash cupboard.


This week I will make myself a birthday dress, but I really need to get started on my SWAP.

Comments

Summer Flies said…
You have done well! I loe the poplin on the inside and that pocket is near invisible. I finished painting today and just sat down after putting most stuff away and cleaning the floor. I'm exhausted and there is still some stuff to do.
Great looking shirt! And creative use of your stash!
Faye Lewis said…
You did a wonderfully professional look job on that shirt. I really like the contrast too.
BeckyMc said…
What a great gift, and all from stash! Great job! Will your swap be from stash as well?
Sharon said…
Where is the gold star! Wonderful shirt for your friend and love the purple contrast!
Carolyn said…
I saw this on the flickr group as well... totally TOTALLY impressive out of 1m!
What a great stashbusting project! And unselfish sewing, too. The contrast poplin is a very luxe touch I think. As Michael Kors would say, "It looks expensive."
velosews said…
That seriously looks better than RTW.
gwensews said…
Nice shirt. The coordinating facings are just the right touch.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up