Some quick and satisfying sewing ...

I'm working on all sorts of things at the moment, but I found myself wandering around the house rendered totally incapable of doing anything because of indecision. I showed some fabrics in my last post that I am keen to sew but didn't know what to make. As well as those there are a whole lot of others that I can't bring myself to put away for later yet I can't seem to cut them. So I opened a bottle of champagne on Saturday night and started cutting things out. Most of the fabrics I was so stressed about cutting into were $1.95 a yard from a Fabric.com sale, so there was no need for stress. Here are the first couple.
This is BWOF 09-2007-101 tie neck top. I thought this might be a ringer for the Jalie pattern, bu it's nothing like it. It's loose and is described as an overblouse, which is perfect for this knit as it's quite sheer. I will wear a cami under it for now and a long sleeve t shirt under it when it gets colder. I made no attempt to match patterns and I waivered on changing the gathered sleeves to plain ones, but eventually went with the gathered. I rather like this and today I am making some black pants to wear with it.
Second up is Vogue 2989. I bought this wardrobe pattern last year when I wanted more knit dresses. I absolutely love it! I love the shape of the neck and for someone with short hair, having coverage on the back of the neck is essential in cooler weather. I like that I can still have a v neck, but coverage at the back. I was wary of interfacing the facing as I omitted the zipper so I used a very light tricot interfacing, but went back and reinterfaced with something stiffer to keep the neck upright and the facings from flipping out. It still slips over my head with no problem. Next time I might make the facings into a half lining. You can't see the detail but the pleats are stitched down and it is a really flattering dress. While I was staring at this on Vera and thinking how stylish it looked, I had an urge to pair it with some bright colours and this is what I came up with.
Yes, they are hot pink patent leather boots. I feel very 60's when I wear them. More later ...

Comments

kbenco said…
How can you cut out after champagne? My lines go all wobbly. I love the vogue dress and boots outfit.
Thanks for letting me know about the SWAP results. Your SWAPs were terrific. The fitting for Grant was so good you made him look easy to fit! I want your legs so that I can make the vogue designer rouched dress (on the other hand, maybe I should enjoy it vicariously).
I think you must have had a divided vote with the 2 SWAPS.
Anonymous said…
I have had that BWOF top in my queue for a while, thanks for the heads up on the generous sizing.
Vicki said…
I am wearing my BWOF 09-2007-101 tie neck top as I read this. Mine is a purple and yellow silk sheer knit. I really love this top and keep thinking I should make another one. Love yours - I think the sheer fabric makes it flow so nicely. And Vera is looking pretty hot! She frocks up very nicely.
Gail said…
Even at your most unproductive you are very productive. Love those pink boots and your courage to wear them. I am way to conservative!
Sharon said…
1 glass of champagne and I'm gone so there would be no cutting out happening here LOL.

You again have been very productive and now I need to find that BWOF pattern and check it out. Love Vera's styling and you have to model the outfit for us all to see.
Mmmm. Champagne and scissors. What a combo! I love what you're doing. I need to get back to my red/white and black wardrobe. But I'm still recuperating from the hafla costumes. Maybe a glass or three of champagne will give me the fortification I need.
Angela
BTW- Love the boots!!!
You have been very productive! Love those pieces. I should pop open bottles of champagne more often. I love it so but never have it because I can't drink the whole bottle at once.
Sheila said…
Lovely garments... how I wish I could manage a rotary cutter and wine at the same time..lol
Mary Nanna said…
Those garments look like a whole lot of fun - animal print and pink boot - woo hoo!
Angelia said…
Beautiful stuff! I love how you styled the black dress!!! And those boots are something I would love to wear!! just awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up