Christmas Party Dress

I've made this dress for christmas. I have a party to attend next week at a very fancy restaurant on the Hobart waterfront and this was a perfect marriage of pattern and fabric. Burda used a two sided fabric for the short version and suggested using the reverse side for the side panels. I remembered this fabric and knew it would be just right for this project. The fabric is from the very popular Vera Wang selection that was sold on Fabric.com a couple of years ago. I bought this because I love the shades of green, but was a little dismayed when it arrived as it has a hand somewhere between cheap taffeta and ripstop nylon. I had no idea what I could possibly make with it, so I put it away and tried not to think about it.
This is BWOF 05-11-108. The long version was too long and the short version was too short, so I cut it exatly half way between. It's a size 19, which I think is a petite-ed size 38. I could have lengthened the bodice but I didn't and it fits almost perfectly. It stands out as you see (and the same as the short one in the magazine) all on its own. The fabric curled slightly at the edges and although the seams pressed nicely, it is hard to press the crushes out. It doesn't show up very well, but I used the dark side for the front panels and the light side for the front panels. I haven't hemmed it yet. I lined this fully with an olive green poly cotton from stash. I wavered between a poly charmeuse and the poly cotton and eventually decided to go with the poly cotton because the fabric is so stiff I thought I'd prefer something softer close to my skin.
I was surprised at how much I like this dress and how good it looks on. I have a lot of this fabric leftover, though. Any suggestions?

Comments

kbenco said…
That is an amazing dress.
I had to laugh at "somewhere between cheap taffeta and ripstop nylon"
It looks so lux!
Maybe you could make a fabulous bag?
I hope it is a good party.
katherine h said…
Gorgeous dress. So pleased that you could take a disappointing fabric and still create something beautiful. It is such a talent to match fabric to a design.
Sophie Miriam said…
I'm thinking a quilted jacket? The fabric definitely looks right!
gwensews said…
Very pretty dress. Perhaps you could make a matching jacket?
Tanit-Isis said…
Aha! I got some of this same fabric (navy colourway) as a "present" from the Selfish Seamstress last year. Your description of the hand is dead on---but your dress is much more successful than the skirt I made!

I think it could make a nice, light formal jacket, too (y'know, something that would work with ripstop nylon).
Sheila said…
Gorgeous... Gorgeous dress. I remember that sale and still have some fabric from that sale, actually one particular fabric is a charteuse vera wang fabric... Lol.

A jacket would be great for the remaining fabric and pair it with slacks which would give a chic look to the pairing.
Faye Lewis said…
You are so ahead of the game. Just the right dress for your summery Christmas too!
cidell said…
Love your description of the fabric! I'm going to say jacket for the extra. But, you have a summer Christmas, right? Love the dress.
I loving this fabric. Yes, a jacket would be cool but skinny pants may be better. With a simple white wrap top and strappy heels...
Sharon said…
Stunning dress and you certainly picked the right pattern for the fabric, it sounds rather interesting.
Gail said…
Love your dress. If you had enough left over, parkas look great in this type of fabric. If not skinny pants is a great idea too. You never come to my blog anymore. Pop over some time.
Love it! I like how the reverse side is only subtly different. This pattern is high on my list but I am in a dilemma over whether to use the reverse side of the fabric in the side panels or not. Well, I have months to decide because it's cold weather sewing for the foreseeable future. :/
Vicki said…
Great dress! How about a trenchy type coat. BWOF had one a few years ago with shirring at he waist. Knowing southern Australia's weather you just may need a coat, but it would also make the dress very wearable all year round.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up