The Unnecessarily complicated dress ...

I made this dress last weekend and it has hung on Vera all week as I wrestled with the closure issue. This is BWOF 01-08-121 and I'm disappointed that you can no longer access the BWOF archives for the line drawings.
The reason this was unnecessarily complicated is that although this is essentially a wrap dress, it requires an open end zip to keep it closed. I used a stretch cotton, so I needed to stabilise the fabric under the zipper. I used a length of cotton tape on the inside. On the right side, the zip attaches under the facing, which pulled the facing out, so I had to stitch the facing down. The facing itself was an issue as it really isn't wide enough. If you make this dress, I would suggest either widening the facing or completly lining the dress. I ended up retro inserting a lining to the fronts only. As usual, the pictures in the magazine don't give much clue to how this dress actually sits, so I made it sit how I like it best and this is it. It had a self fabric tie belt in the magazine, but I intend to make a black obi belt from an old pattern I have. In the meantime, I used this black belt to see how it looked. I really like this dress, which is odd because I didn't really like this fabric and I was beginning to wonder why I bought it - now I'm glad I did!
Here's a shot of the last dress on me. You can't see the detail I wanted to show, but you get a really good look at my iron and Molly. I've got to work on this photography business ...
There's a christmas dress half made you might get to see tomorrow.

Comments

vanessa said…
Hi I get all the line and photos for the mag and save them to Evernote. I've tagged this dress as a future project. I find this russian magazine site the best place for the images. The link for this dress is www.osinka.ru/Zhurnaly/2008/burda/burda_01/slides/15.html
Great dress! Vanessa
cidell said…
I srsly need to save my line drawings too. I keep them in a binder. But not digitally. I've been seeing a software engineer and he said he'd write a program for me to search them. But, I'm not willing to do the work myself!
http://www.burdafashion.com/ru/index/1270777-1463237-1579053-1579056-1579150-1579152.html

Russian archives go back to 2006 I think. Or, they used to.

This dress is also one I had in mind. I love January 2008. I've seen about four or five garments from that one alone!
I love both of your dresses. But you know I'm partial to animal prints! I haven't the patience to try a Burda pattern...yet.
Sharon said…
Great dresses and you have made it work for you so well done. Good to see Molly.
kbenco said…
Your dresses are looking good. I love the neckline on the animal print dress.
I have been coveting that Jan 08 burda issue for some time, it has some great patterns.
I use the French Burda site for the line drawings, because I find it easier to work out what the garment titles are in French than in the Russian site that seems to come up with the issues first
http://www.burdafashion.com/fr/Magazines/burda_Style/1270777-1000019.html
It is set up like the old English site so is pretty easy to navigate for the drawings.
Marie said…
The dress looks great. I had a look on the russian site (in google translate) so I could see where the zip could go.

Thanks for pointing out the dress to me - sometimes I need to see it made up in something different to see the potential.
Audrey said…
I liked this dress so much I dug out my Jan 2008 issue to look at it. Where did you get the fantastic fabric? I was going to tell you about the Burda archives on the countries sites but quite a few people beat me to it.
Gail said…
Love the collar on your new dress and the fabric to fantastic!

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up