Bloke sewing

Bloke sewing is hard at the best of times, but doing it at a distance is something else. Having said that, though, there is something to be said for not having someone watching over my shoulder and critiquing every single step, like they are suddenly a sewing expert ...
This is BWOF 04-08-132 but with the button closure of 133.
I made this once before for Grant's SWAP two years ago and it's been a favourite (I forgot how dorky he looked in the photos). Grant got the idea in his head for a 60's inspired overshirt, inspired by the pool scene in The Graduate and the original was all made from things he found in my stash. Likewise, this new blue version is all from stash and it's a shame I didn't take a close up of the ribbon I used because it has a lovely rope like detail on each side. The brown stripe is vintage bias tape from the op shop and the blue and tan ribbon one length, just reversed. One side is tan with blue and tan rope design and the other side is the reverse. I'll post it up to him tomorrow and await the phone call - 'you should have put the stripes 3mm to the left, you should have used a different button, it should be shorter'. I'm happy with it and that's all that matters.

Comments

kbenco said…
It looks terrific from here. I hope you are basking in a glow of virtue from making this shirt.
Faye Lewis said…
Great job. It has a collar and stand which I dread. So you are to be commended.
Marie said…
It looks fantastic. He can make the changes himself if he is so worried.
Anonymous said…
Wow, what a rad shirt! My husband does the same thing, 3mm to the left and so forth... I just keep notes of things like that, eventually he quit noticing things like that... I figure he got used to me sewing for him, or I got used to sewing for him. Either way...

Super rad. Thanks for the inspiration, I think my picky man needs one, too. :)
Sharon said…
Very smart shirt, looks perfect from here.
Audrey said…
It looks great! I really like this shirt style. It is different, but still very masculine. I wish the men in my life were more adventurous dressers, like your Grant is.
Everyone's a critic, LOL. What a totally fun retro shirt, I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up